1. Homologous Structures!
2. Vestigial Structures!
3. DNA Analysis!
4. Embryological Similarities!
5. Fossil Evidence (Transitional Animals)!
3. DNA -
- Chimpanzees are 96% to 98% similar to humans, depending on how it is calculated. (source)
- Cats have 90% of homologous genes with humans, 82% with dogs, 80% with cows, 79% with chimpanzees, 69% with rats and 67% with mice. (source)
- Cows (Bos taurus) are 80% genetically similar to humans (source)
- 75% of mouse genes have equivalents in humans (source), 90% of the mouse genome could be lined up with a region on the human genome (source) 99% of mouse genes turn out to have analogues in humans (source)
- The fruit fly (Drosophila) shares about 60% of its DNA with humans (source).
- About 60% of chicken genes correspond to a similar human gene. (source)
The number of genes across a few tested species can be compared on HomoloGene.
4. EMBRYOLOGICAL SIMILARITIES
Download this graphic from the Image library.